A visionary leader, Patrice Machabée has capitalized on his strengths to make ALPABEM one of Quebec’s key stakeholders in mental health.
Patrice Machabée was only 29 when he took over the reins of the Association lavalloise de parents et amis pour le bien-être mental (ALPABEM) in 2006. This dynamic manager tackled the incredible challenge of modernizing the agency’s approaches while upholding its values.
What mainly allowed Patrice Machabée to meet this challenge was his ability to bring people together and convince the founding members, directors and employees of the merits of this renewal.
The modernization has finally borne fruit. Under the leadership of Patrice Machabée, this agency dedicated to the families and friends of people with mental health problems has experienced impressive growth and made a great impact:
- ALPABEM provided its services to approximately 1,200 people in 2011, compared to 109 in 2006.
- Currently, between 200 and 600 people attend the agency’s signature information and awareness sessions, compared to just a few dozen participants in 2006.
- Today, ALPABEM offers 8 more training programs than it did in 2006. One of these programs is designed particularly for children who have a parent with a mental illness.
- The agency has almost doubled its budget since 2006.
- ALPABEM’s website is one of the most visited among all mental health websites in Quebec. Their information sessions are available from the site and are viewed by Web users from across Quebec and even around the world.
Profoundly involved in his community and dedicated to his cause, Patrice Machabée has shown creativity in building a strong network around ALPABEM. He has served on various boards of directors and round tables and helped found a new agency called Carrefour TPL, which provides support and educational services to people with borderline personality disorder. Each year, he gives many lectures to share his experience. Throughout the public sector, Patrice Machabée’s reputation is indeed securely established.
Centraide has supported Association lavalloise de parents et amis pour le bien-être mental (ALPABEM)since 1993.
Patrice Machabée is the winner of the Solidaires Leadership 2013.