A rigorous process
The process of evaluating and allocating funds to agencies is carried out by competentwho are representative of the community, with the assistance of staff advisers.
They ensure that the services offered by Centraide-supported agencies address specific community needs while meeting Centraide’s allocations criteria. More specifically, the allocations volunteers verify that:
Plays a role in its community which is socially relevant and in line with Centraide’s guidelines
- Knows the existing social needs in its community and keeps abreast of emerging needs and solutions.
- Meets these needs by offering services that are consistent with its mission.
- Employs the necessary means to reach and serve the people it targets and to provide them with access to its activities.
Centraide's 2010-2015 strategy aims to support agencies in their fight against poverty and social exclusion.
Employs intervention strategies that promote lasting solutions
- Offers its activities with a view to promoting the development of self-reliance and empowerment among the people it serves.
- Promotes the development of a feeling of belonging and citizen participation.
- Integrates into its activities strategies for self-help and mutual-aid among participants, as well as between participants and people outside the agency.
- Offers its activities on the basis of an inclusive approach both within the agency and in the agency’s relationships with the community, especially with respect to people from the various ethnocultural communities.
Centraide believes that people have the capacity to participate in defining and implementing solutions to the problems they are experiencing.
Gives itself the means to know and make known the results it achieves in helping people
- Establishes precise qualitative and quantitative goals for its interventions with people.
- Implements an evaluation process for its intervention programs.
- Analyses and utilizes its evaluation results to draw findings that enable it to better understand the needs of its clientele and, if necessary, to review its practices or its work.
- Presents its results in the documents it produces, and distributes these documents (e.g. its activity report).
Above and beyond volume of activity and number of people reached, Centraide is interested in the results the agencies achieve in relation to their intervention goals.
Works in collaborative partnership with the social stakeholders in its community to promote social development
- Has a good knowledge of its community and of the social development stakeholders who are active in it.
- Develops collaborative partnerships with the other social stakeholders in its community so as to implement solutions that are more complete.
- Participates in joint social development planning and action committees concerned with the social development of its community, with the aim of developing and working according to a collective vision.
Centraide believes that by participating in community building at the local, sub-regional or regional levels, the agencies strengthen their contribution to social development.
Adopts sound management and effective governance practices
- Is in good financial health and is careful to acquire the necessary resources for its operations, development and continuation.
- Manages its human (staff and volunteers), material and financial resources so as to best fulfill its mission.
- Plans all of its activities and reports on them annually to its members.
- Has clearly defined the roles and responsibilities of its authorities as well as its rules of governance.
- Organizes its associative life so as to enable the active participation of the community, including agency participants, in the decision-making process.
Centraide wishes to finance agencies that have recognized management and governance practices.
Support the community agencies of Greater Montreal by making a donation to Centraide:
Or take action by